Tennessee Association of Board Secretaries
In an effort to ensure the most efficient and effective organization of school board operations statewide, TABS was established for the purpose of providing a support and professional development organizationforschool system board/executive secretaries through the mutual exchange of ideas and experiences.
To elevate board/executive secretarial standards and increase awareness of the vital role of an educated and informed board/executive secretary while gaining recognition as a professional within the field of education.
The membership of TABS shall be open to all county, city, and special school district board/executive secretaries who serve Superintendents and Boards of Education in the state of Tennessee.
TABS Goals and Objectives
||Nurture leadership qualities
||Raise the level of secretarial proficiency
||Develop interpersonal relationships
||Promote better working relationships
||Improve communication skills
||Instill confidence to assume greater responsibility
||Validate professionalism through education, experience, and commitment
TABS Code of Ethics
- To perform the responsibilities of a board/executive secretary for the school system uninfluenced by special interest groups or partisan politics.
- To respect the decisions of the local Board of Education and Superintendent of Schools.
- To recognize that authority rests only with the Board of Education in official meetings and that the individual board member has no legal status outside of such meetings.
- To be responsible for the accurate timely completion of required tasks.
- To avoid being placed in a position of conflict of interest and refrain from using the position of board/executive secretary with the school system for personal or partisan gain.
- To implement the responsibilities of board/executive secretary in the most competent professional manner possible.
- To strive to maintain and enhance the dignity, status and standards of the local school system, TSBA, and TABS.
- To promote open communications between the school system administration, Board of Education, and the community as a whole.
- To uphold the rules of confidentiality in certain matters relative to the position of board/executive secretary.
- To serve as a trusted agent in professional relations with other members of the education team.
- To participate in individual study and special programs or events that increase personal knowledge of current educational issues, rules, regulations, and statutes.
- To commit to elevate the standards of all TABS members.
2015-2016 TABS Officers
TABS Officers' Duties
Organizational History and Past Officers
TABS Certification Program
TABS Self Assessment